Unexpected heavy crying, bending or spreading of the legs, waving hands are signs of colic in an infant. In this state (colic), it is very difficult to calm the child down, but in most cases it is safe, passes for some time and does not threaten the baby with anything but discomfort.
We offer 10 effective ways to relieve colic in an infant:
- Tummy massage clockwise. You can use special massage oils for colic, but this is not at all necessary.
- Bending-extension of the legs and “bicycle”. Such exercises accelerate the movement of gases in the intestine and their excretion. Lying on the tummy also helps in this, but it is better to put the child in this position not on a full stomach.
- Heat. A heating pad or warm diaper attached to the tummy relieves cramps.
- The gas tube is also effective for colic in infants. Such tubes should be purchased only at the pharmacy, after consulting a doctor and carefully reading the instructions.
- After feeding, it is better to hold the baby upright so that it can regurgitate excess air. Also, do not overfeed the baby, because with an excessive amount of food, the child may not have enough enzymes to digest.
- Vegetable teas made of fennel, dill and chamomile for mom also help the baby cope with colic. Of course, they are effective only when breastfeeding.
- The diet of the mother significantly affects the digestion of the baby, therefore, in the period vulnerable to colic, nursing mothers should limit the use of sweets, sauerkraut and pickled foods, cabbage and legumes.
- When breastfeeding, the correct application of the baby is also important — the baby must grab the alveoli so as not to swallow excess air.
- Dill water and other natural gas preparations for the smallest crush gas bubbles in the intestine and thus contribute to their faster removal from the body. However, they should be used after consulting a pediatrician, choose according to the age of the child and strictly follow the instructions.
- Special probiotics for infants contribute to the formation of microflora in the digestive system and, accordingly, improve digestion, and therefore can be effective in colic.
During the colic period, parents should be patient, remain calm and find the position in which the baby is most calm and remember that this condition is non-threatening and will pass.